Immigration Policies for Hong Kong Residents

Immigration Pathways for Hong Kong Residents

IRCC announced several ongoing immigration measures to support Hong Kong residents on November 12, 2020.

Canada has been constantly implementing a number of new measures and making enhancements to existing programs and pathways, allowing Hong Kong residents and their families to quickly come to Canada on work and study permits, as well as independent pathways to permanent residence.


The new public policy is limited to Hong Kong residents who meet any of the following conditions:

1. Under Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) paragraphs 190(2)(d) and (e), residents of Hong Kong are defined as foreign nationals who hold a passport issued by:

a. The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People’s Republic of China, or

b. The United Kingdom to a British National Overseas (BNO), as a person born, naturalized, or registered in Hong Kong.

2. Applicant is a Canadian citizen, person registered under the Indian Act, a permanent resident, or a protected person in Hong Kong. Immediate relatives and family members may also qualify, regardless of nationality.


3. Immediate relatives of Hong Kong residents who plan to study or work in Canada:

a. the spouse or common-law partner

b. the dependent children of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner

c. any dependent children of a dependent child

d. parents or step-parents

e. parents or step-parents of the spouse or common-law partner

f. guardians or tutors

United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Hong Kong passports

In addition, holders of HKSAR and BNO passports are visa-exempt and may apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) should they wish to come to Canada. 


Please note that the Hong Kong Document of Identity cannot be used in place of an HKSAR passport, therefore it cannot be used to apply for an eTA or for any other application. 

Ship with red flags on water

Open Work Permit

Starting from February 8, 2021, Hong Kong residents can apply for an open work permit. This is a 2-year temporary public policy that expects to end on February 7, 2023.

Woman wearing a hat and Canada flag around shoulders in Banff

Pathways To Permanent Residency

2 independent permanent residence pathways took effect on June 1, 2021, and will end on August 31, 2026, granting Hong Kong graduates and workers in Canada a PR status.

You are welcome to contact us for professional advice on pathways for Hong Kong residents. We will also provide any assistance to help you and your family settle in Canada.