Quebec has its own immigrants-selection system.
What Is the Quebec Immigration Process?
The Quebec Selection Certificate, or Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) is a document issued by Le ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIDI) that proves to Canada's federal government that an applicant has been selected for immigration to Quebec. Immigration candidates who are issued a CSQ can then apply for permanent resident status from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
The Quebec Immigration Ministry:
- Assesses foreign nationals' eligibility for a CSQ under Quebec's various economic immigration, business immigration, refugee and humanitarian categories, and
- Issues CSQs to applicants who meet the criteria for immigration to Quebec.
The Government of Canada Continues to Oversee the Following:
- Security, criminal and medical background checks that determine the admissibility of new immigrants to Canada, and
- Creation of categories and classes of immigration, allocating and enforcing annual immigration levels while taking into consideration the number of immigrants the Government of Quebec wishes to welcome in any given year.
What Are Quebec's Economic Immigration Programs?
Foreign nationals who are interested in settling in Quebec can apply for a CSQ in one of the following economic immigration categories:
- Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP), also known as the Regular Skilled Worker Program: This is Quebec's key immigration category for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents of Canada, and reside in Quebec.
Under this program, the Government of Quebec applies a unique points system to prioritize potential candidates for a CSQ. Points are assigned based on 'human capital factors' that include education and training, skilled work experience, proficiency in English or French, among others.
- Quebec Experience Class, Programme de l’expérience Québécoise (PEQ): The PEQ is a popular immigration option for international students who have obtained an eligible diploma from a Quebec post-secondary institution, and skilled workers with eligible work experience in the province.
- Quebec Business Immigration: Foreign nationals who can prove they have the resources can apply for immigration to Quebec under a wide range of business immigration programs for investors, entrepreneurs, and self-employed individuals. Quebec aims to issue between 2,100 and 2,800 CSQs to business people in 2019.