Quebec Family Reunification
Learn how you can sponsor a family member to come to Canada,
Your 5 - Step Process
Step 1. Find out about the requirements for sponsoring a close relative and you must meet several conditions.
Step 2. Apply to sponsor a close relative if you meet all the sponsorship requirements and accept the responsibilities involved.
Step 3. Facilitate the integration of your sponsored relative in Québec. The relative you sponsored will soon be joining you in Québec if you haven’t already been reunited. To facilitate your sponsored relative’s integration, you can help him/her get ready prior to departure.
Step 4. Recommend that your sponsored relative go to the Immigration Québec office at the airport. Read up on the entry and reception formalities awaiting the sponsored relative upon arrival. Also, recommend that he or she contact an Immigration Québec reception officer.
Step 5. Guide your sponsored relative through the integration process. The sponsored relative will have to complete a number of procedures upon arrival. You can help your relative save time by referring him or her to the resources offered by the government and its partner organizations to facilitate integration.
What Are the Requirements and Responsibilities You Must Fulfill as the Sponsor?
You can sponsor a close relative if:
- you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Québec, and
- you are at least 18 years of age.
The sponsorship covers a close relative and, where applicable, accompanying family members. Other requirements must also be met.
Who counts as a Close Relative?
To be sponsored, your close relative must belong to the family class and meet specific requirements:
- Your spouse, de-facto spouse or conjugal partner – Specific requirements;
- Your dependent child – Specific requirements;
- Your father, mother, grandfather or grandmother – Specific requirements;
- Your orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter who is under 18 years of age and does not have a spouse or de facto spouse – Specific requirements; or
- A child you plan to adopt (international adoption) – Learn of the process for adopting a child residing abroad.