Temporary Resident Visa

Temporary Resident Visa

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) differs from a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP).

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).

Who Are Visitors?


Visitors are persons who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada, and are legally authorized to enter Canada to:


  • visit Canada on holiday (vacation);
  • visit family; and
  • conduct business, etc.


Visitors are restricted in length of stay and subject to various conditions.


Important information: You must obtain your TRV before departure. You cannot obtain one upon arrival in Canada.

What Are the Requirements You Must Meet for a TRV?


You must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay.

You must also:

  • satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay;
  • show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada and to return home;
  • not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so;
  • be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity;
  • not be a risk to the security of Canada;
  • provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish your admissibility; and
  • be in good health (complete a medical examination if required).

Do I Need to Apply Separately for My Family Members?


Family members must complete their own application forms. However, you may submit your applications together online or at a Visa Application Centre (VAC) and use one payment receipt for the total amount.


Your spouse or common-law partner and children must meet all of the requirements for temporary residence in Canada.


Can I Work or Study during My Stay in Canada?


Visitors are not allowed to work or study in Canada unless they are authorized to do so under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). In many cases, a work or study permit will be required.


A temporary resident may also take a program of study up to a six-month duration without having to obtain a study permit.

What if I Was Previously Granted Permanent Resident Status?


If you have ever been granted permanent residence or landed immigrant status in Canada, you may still be a permanent resident. We cannot issue you a TRV if you are a permanent resident.


You may instead want to apply for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad). If you meet the requirements for a travel document, you can return to Canada as a permanent resident.


If you no longer want to be a permanent resident, or if you know you do not meet the requirements to keep your permanent resident status, you can voluntarily give up (renounce) your permanent resident status in order to apply for a TRV.


Get your customized British Columbia Business Immigration proposal by connecting with TWA right now!